Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Santa bar crawl

This past Saturday was quite interesting as I participated in my first ever Santa bar crawl. I drove with Brian to Josh's, where we met Josh and Derrick (the organizer of said crawl). From there, we walked to the Metro, all in our Santa suits. Right from the beginning it was interesting as we got waves, honks, pictures, and comments. I'm not sure that there was anything particularly interesting about the bar crawling itself, suffice it to say it was fun and alcholic. Walking outside in packs of Santas was definitely the highlight (and the point, I supppose).

We started at 2pm, and at around 11:30pm, I had decided that I should probably head on home. Brian wanted to stay longer, tho, but he said that he could take care of himself, so I headed on back.

So, now I'm trying to find the Metro by myself, still dressed in the Santa suit. A few people asked for presents, to which I responded they'd be under their trees. I ran into a group of guys (who although not flaming, still struck me as gay) that I asked for directions. As a result, they figured out they were headed the wrong way, so they walked with me until we parted ways a short while later.

As I walked down the steps to the platform of the Metro, I heard, "Santa!" I didn't see where it was coming from, but I just waved blindly. Eventually, a group of girls asked to have their photo taken with me. As I got on a train after switching lines, one girl hurriedly whipped out her camera to take my picture through the door before the train pulled away. Walking back from the Metro, I ran into a group of girls (with reindeer antlers) as they were getting into their taxis. A few yelled "Santa!" and one started singing "Santa Baby". I smiled and waved.

It's really kind of amazing the level of good will that people show towards Santa.

PS, I was going to include a pic of Brian all Santa'd up, but Blogger's being uncooperative...

No comments: