Thursday, November 30, 2006

Tough guy manifesto

Sometimes I think some people get a little pantywaisted about America and our Rights. I think this is particularly true about Amendments 1 and 2. Regardless of why it was brought up for discussion, I think I agree with this "tough guy" interpretation:

Actually, one could view the Bill of Rights as our own "Tough Guy Manifesto", thus:

1) You can't tell me what to believe, or make me go home and shut up.

2) I'll go armed and defend myself, thank you.

3) You can't make me let someone else live in my house.

4) This is MY house; if you can't demonstrate a compelling need to snoop, stay the fuck out.

5) This is MY shit; keep your greedy hands off it. And don't go accusing me of Evil without evidence.

6) If you've got evidence, lay it on the table. And no fair getting a confession by pitchforking me in the ass.

7) I ain't guilty just on YOUR say-so.

8) You can't keep me in jail just because you want to.

9) As to the rest of my life, you can't tell me what to do or not do.

10) And neither can your big fat uncle in Washington.

Yeah, the Founding Fathers framed it in far more polite language, but the intent is the same. They understood standing up for yourself and not letting the gov't push you around -- your own or anyone else's. That was, after all, what the War for Independence was all about.

No comments: