Friday, November 24, 2006

Mmmm...turkey

So, I figured I could at least add my two cents about Thanksgiving. In fact the first Thanksgiving I've not gone home for mom's cooking. And while mom's cooking was still missed, I must thank HP for softening the blow considerably. For those of you that missed out, and missed out is accurate, even with a grand total of 14 people crammed into her oh-so-roomy abode, there were still leftovers. But not for lack of effort or lack of quality cooking. The food was excellent. I believe the only item not left over was the wine. And, let me say, that was a feat. I suppose that's what happens when you have 13 other people over and tell them to bring wine/beer. I personally took two bottles of wine, plus a bottle of scotch and left empty handed. Yet somehow no one was really drunk that I could tell. Highlights:

- An interesting discussion of loyalty. If numerous friends ask you to stop what's in general a futile effort, and you refuse, what does that say about you? Maybe my view of loyalty to friends is completely off from other people's. I know I'd quit.

- Mashed potatoes. I love mashed potatoes. I never think of this until events like turkey day, because I almost never eat them. What a great food.

- I took a shot of liquid turkey fat for $5. And yes, it was mildly disgusting. But well worth $5. Apparently no one else thought as I did. But, seriously, it's no different from what everyone was eating on their turkey and potatoes, they just added some extra ingredients and called it gravy. I think people seriously undervalue $5. Just think what Sally Struthers could do with that $5. Or, in reality, I could give that $5 to Julie at Horton's Kids and I'm sure they could find some use for it. And all I had to do was swallow an ounce and a half of turkey fat. I know back when I was working for minimum wage (when I was 15 that wage was $5.15 - and I walked uphill to school both ways...blah blah blah) I would have gladly taken eight shots of that crap and called it a day. Anyway, that's neither here nor there....

Hope all had a happy holiday. I enjoyed it. Now I'm back in my torture cell (though unlike Paul mine has only three sterile walls plus one large, drafty window - woohoo!). Same time, same place tomorrow? You bet...

No comments: